CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Monday 29 April 2019

Bath room

Although I would ideally stay in the railway hotel when a Big Day Out extends into a weekend, in the case of Bath it was fully booked by the time I got round to looking - the tourist season was just beginning and hotels were horrendously expensive. Instead, I stumbles across an 'apartment' which was in fact student accommodation for Bath Spa Univesrity. There is a trend now towards student accommodation becoming far more well-appointed, with en suite bathroom as standard, and in this case, a little kitchenette in each room as well. In the course of going to academic conferences and interviews for jobs I've stayed in a lot of student accommodation, including the most uncomfortable bed I have tried and failed to sleep in - and that was for a job interview.

So I thought it might not be great, but I knew I could hack it as long as it had the en suite (tick) and was clean (the reviews all said it was).
In fact, it was brilliant. Once I managed to get into the building (the only slight hitch) a friendly porter showed me to the room (and when's the last time that happened in a hotel? Certainly not in my price bracket).
The booking details warned that there might not be crockery but there was, and there was also a hotel room style selection of tea and coffee, with hot chocolate and biscuits (I always keep the hot chocolate sachets for boating - but I did bring my own teabags. Of course.). The room was clean and bright, and the absence of a restaurant on site, given the cooking facilities and fridge in the room and the proximity of plenty of shops, was a positive for me. And the bed was comfortable.

Not sure I'd want to live in it for a whole semester, but for an overnight stay I'd definitely do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment