CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Monday 8 April 2019

A canal I hadn't heard of

On our walk to Rotherham, Paul introduced me to a canal I don't think I had even heard of before.
The Greasbrough Canal opened in 1780 (following many abortive plans dating back a number of years) and remained in use for only about sixty years. A surprising amount of its short length remains in water, and we saw (but I did not photograph) another section further up when we were looking for the Parkgate tram stop.
Hopefully this knowledge will stand me in good stead in a HNBC quiz at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment