CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Wednesday 9 January 2019

Jammy

To go with your tea, you might like a bit of bread, or toast, and jam. Or a scone.

Just down the road from me, there's a bit of land (where I believe some cottages used to stand) which is now a 'nature park' but also serves as a sort of community garden, planted with apple, cherry and plum trees, and with a good growth of brambles.

I was very excited about the prospect of making plum jam, but someone picked the tree bare while I was off boating. Maybe next year. I'm toying with the idea of a plum tree in the garden - I have a lovely sunny wall - but ... wasps.

However, as I walked back through the park each day I picked a few blackberries, and put them in the freezer. Today, I finally got them out - because I've run down my stock of pre-prapared dinners, and wanted to take the opportunity to defrost the freezer. So, I had to preserve the blackberries the old-fashioned way:

I had 1 lb 11 oz (or 777g, if you prefer, which I don't. Love metric for measuring, but not for cooking) of blackberries. Having been frozen gave them a head start in the squishiness stakes, so they didn't need much stewing.
I got my splendid Le Creuset enamel preserving pan in a charity shop in Eastbourne, for £6.99. Sebastian then very kindly carried it around the rest of the shops for me. I thought it might be a bit big for such a small quantity, but it was fine, and I was glad I'd used it.
I remembered how to do it without a recipe, and got very nearly three 12oz jars. And after putting it off for months, in the end it only took half an hour.
It's set well - almost too well - and yes, it is pippy, because I couldn't be bothered to sieve it. But it's jolly tasty, and such a lovely colour. Although I don't think Captain Ahab has anything to worry about.


No comments:

Post a Comment