CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Friday 11 January 2019

Cataloguing

Rivetcounter thought no. 1

It's not the conscious, visible categorising and cataloguing, pattern-seeking and rulemaking that's a problem - it's the fact that it is constantly going on in the background. which pointlessly takes up far too much energy and brain capacity. Do I really need to think every morning about which hand I pick the mugs up of the draining rack with, and therefore what order they go back on their nails? Should I really be bothered about whether I pick my necklace or my earrings first, and worried about how to choose between the pendants that live in little drawers and the beads that live on a rail? My lack of a workable rule for that is bothering me fairly frequently.

I have a new rule, which is that 'preference trumps rules'.

Most of you probably don't need a rule like that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit "ruly". Better than being unruly, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete