CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Monday 3 June 2019

Queens of Hatton revisited

For a while, a few years back, I used Blogpress for posting while on the move. All very well, but while the text has stayed up on Blogger, the photos have disappeared. This is quite disappointing and frustrating when I want to use the blog as my own record, or refer back to an old post.

However, I've just downloaded a koad of photos from that old iPad (still doing sterling service for Jim) and I've found a few of the missing ones - or at least ones that will make good substitutes. Never one to say no to the opportunity to recycle an old post, this gives me just the excuse I need.

In this isntance, the chance to relive one of those great boating experiences - when Tina and I steered Chertsey and Holland up Hatton with Jim and Ian, both on bikes (pre-Ricky days, these) setting ahead like clockwork, and Tina and I steering bewteen the locks with the boats glued together - although they weren't attached in any way other than our brilliant steering and some hydrodynamics - making it so much easier and quicker to get into each one.
I've tried suggesting this technique to other people since, but they either don't get it, or don't dare try, preferring to come singly out of each lock and likewise into the next, which is always a real faff for the first boat in if not for the second.  
The other way of doing it of course is to breast the boats up tied together, like we did with Renfrew in 2016 - and that way you only need one steerer too. Again, I was amazed by the negative reaction this got when I mentioned it incidentally on CanalWorld. It seemed that no one trusted anyone else with their boat. Which is very sad, but perhaps I am uniquely fortunate in knowing so many skilled and experienced boaters...

1 comment:

  1. There is a simple solution to getting agreement to breasting two boats in a flight of broad locks...

    ... simply ensure you own both boats!

    https://sickleandflamingo.blogspot.com/2018/08/it-all-takes-time.html

    (You should have kept Bakewell!)

    ReplyDelete