CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Wednesday 12 June 2019

A stroll around the island

If only we had made it to Sheffield on Warrior in 2009 - and found our way to the pub that was our intended destination - I might have even older memories and photos to compare to the present day. Ten years doesn't sound a lot, but it's seen the transformation of Kelham Island (a small part of Sheffield) from industrial dereliction (mmmm....) to hipster paradise and the Academy of Urbanism's Best UK Neighbourhood 2019. I hadnt heard of the Academy of Urbanism, I confess, but their 'assessment summary' of the case for Kelham Island seems very thorough and, I confess, made me feel warmer towards the regeneration/gentrification than I had previously. And you have to love any reference to 'the partly revegetated goit'.

Anyway, when the rain finally paused on Monday, after a day stuck in front of the computer, I took a brisk stroll around the area, and found that there was still much to please me.




 And lest you think this is too devastated and depressing, I believe that these were the former works of this outfit,
who would appear still to be thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment