CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Wednesday 3 March 2010

An interesting angle


This is the tricky bit. This is the bit of the bottom that really pretty desperately needs doing, and the bit that I'm finding hardest to comprehend what will have done to it, until I get some pictures drawn for me.

But anyway, this is the chine angle around the back end of the bottom of Chertsey, the area that hasn't been rebottomed. This is in a bad way, as you would expect after seventy years of being in the frontline of rubbing and scraping. When Chertsey first came out of the water, we noticed a slight weep here, probably on a rivet.

The amazing thing is that this part of the boat doesn't seen to have had any work done on it; it is all original. As I mentioned before, it's hard being the one who first has to tamper with that originality, but on the other hand it is wonderful that nothing has been done before, and that it has lasted this long, and of course it is, now after all those years, finally necessary in order to keep it afloat.

So I will tell you what we are going to do about it once I understand myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment