Well, stage one was achieved without a hitch - we collected the engine in the trailer and got it safely to Stretton. Just a few more jobs to do now before it can go in. I've started this morning by hoovering the water out of the engine hole, just letting it dry now before cleaning it up ready for a final coat of paint.
We have now also turned our minds to the little matter of the boat safety certificate - something I would imagine has never troubled Chertsey before, seeing as it was last licenced in 1983. I'd thought of the fuel system, electrics and stove installation, but hadn't really given any thought to ventilation, where we may well have a bit of a problem, inasmuch as there isn't much and 'leaving the hatch open' doesn't meet the BSS's standards.... So we are now planning on reinstating the 'letter box' vents which should be high up on the cabin side, towards the back. Jim is currently putting in the heatproof board behind the stovepipe (it's already been installed all around the stove) and this will be covered by a piece of that super copper he found in Ely. Meanwhile, I have to find some new batteries for the camera.