CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Friday 11 November 2011

Bakewell's journey: day 1


The trouble with moving boats, leaping around, working locks etc - and having a decent camera, is that the camera tends not to get used. I can leap about and do locks with an old compact in my pocket, but not with four figures worth of SLR around my neck, so I have managed to take precious few action shots on recent trips.

However, on Tuesday morning, a couple on the towpath were taking photos and I thought, why not, it's my boat after all they're taking pictures of, and scribbled down my email address on a piece of paper, and as I dashed past, handed it to them and asked if they would mind emailing me a few of their photos. And they - or rather Sandra - did; seventeen pictures that put together show us leaving one lock, singling out along the pound, and starting to get ready to breast up for the next one. A marvellous record that we would otherwise not have; thank you Sandra. I think in future I shall keep some pre-written bits of paper in my pocket, to deploy whenever I see people taking photos!

6 comments:

  1. What a great picture, and what a good idea! Even when you have a boring boat like us, it's still nice to get photos of the boat from the towpath. I've often thought of giving out blog cards so the two would link quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful set of photos. You were clever to ask for them. I'm sure that you will get many more good photos if you follow through with your plan to have your address handy to give out.

    The lock shown in these photos is actually Cape Top Lock, Warwick, by the Cape of Good Hope pub. The Hatton Flight begins after you've turned right around Budbrooke Junction - I suppose "looms" might be a better word.

    Were you to turn left at the junction, you would enter the Saltisford Arm, which has been restored by a very active canal society and is an excellent place for overnight mooring. It is handy for the town and shopping and has good facilities. Management and permanent moorers are friendly and helpful. One night is free; a small donation to the canal society is asked for subsequent nights.

    Michelle, nb Shilling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I'd better amend that then. How could I forget all the locks we did before Hatton! In fact the original plan had been to stop after the second Hatton lock, but it was only about 3 pm, so we said we'd press on a bit, and after a bit longer Nick said, you know we're not stopping until we get to the top now... And when you turn that corner and see the 'thick' of the flight, and you're already exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it me? I click on "seventeen pictures", get to photobucket, but it says the page I was looking for was not found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, link also not working for me - as Halfie describes.

    ReplyDelete