Saturday, 30 January 2010

Chertsey station

It occurred to me the other day, walking across the wind tunnel concourse to Euston, that I'd never given a thought to Chertsey station, the transport hub that gave my boat its name. My second thought was that maybe it no longer existed; after all, I'd never heard it subconsciously in a list of suburban station announcements. My third thought was how many of the stations that gave their names to Grand Union boats still exist, and how many - if any - fell to Beeching's axe. That's still a question for the future, but I came home and looked on the National Rail website, telling it that I wanted to journey from London to Chertsey - and there it was, going out of Waterloo, which is why it has never impinged upon my consciousness.

So I had a look to see if I could find any pictures, and instead I found a Wikipedia article, written in a way that suggests, perhaps worryingly, perhaps hearteningly, that there is one for every station in the country. And my, what a handsome station Chertsey has. I'm so glad it's not a grim damp peeling box, at least not on the outside.

My fifth thought was to compile a list of all the boat-name stations that I've been to, or through, but I thought at that point that I should go and have a little lie down, perhaps.

3 comments:

  1. if you ever make the pilgrimage down there, remember that the direct trains from Waterloo stop in Brentford anyway, so do feel free to stop off in the way home for a pint? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you might find this interesting http://www.chertseylocal.co.uk/History/P6ChertseyHistoryTheAgeofEmpire.php

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely Andrew. I must visit the museum one day.
    And thanks Simon... next time I'm passing through Brentford...

    ReplyDelete