CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Tuesday 5 February 2019

Lost canals are turning up everywhere!

I haven't yet watched any of Captain Ahab's 'Canal Hunter' series of videos in which he tracks down sections of the 'lost sixty miles' of the BCN. I'm not great at sitting down to watch stuff (I find it a bit overwhelming); I always prefer to read about it, but ...

[ranty digression] It makes me quite annoyed now you can hardly get written instructions for anything, but have to sit through a video or screencast - the latest example being how to get my online feedback in my student persona. Had they written a few paragraphs, I could have quickly skimmed to the bit I needed, but with the screencast I had to sit through three and a half minutes of stuff I did already know how to do, and even then it wasn't as easy - for me - to understand.[ranty digression ends]

... I will, of course, make an exception for the Captain, and I can see how the use of a visual medium like video is really suited to this kind of project. But I haven't got round to it yet.

Now, it's no secret that Captain Ahab is a bit  of a fiend for the BCN, but imagine my excitement when Diamond Geezer followed up a post about CRT's lockage stats with what promises to be the beginning of a series on London's lost canals ... two posts, for starters, on the Grand Surrey Canal, all of which has been filled in (some as recently as 1980), and much of which has become road, leading to some surreal bridges and bollards, all beautifully photographed and written up in dg's inimitable style - plus links to loads more info (which I haven't followed up yet either). I hope it is the start of a series...

P.S. Just doing a quick search of dg's oeuvre, I found a 2010 post about the Croydon Canal from which I learn for the first time that I actually  spent the first year of my life living near the one remaining unlost bit of a lost canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment