Wednesday, 24 March 2010
Lifting the lid
Well, this morning we did it. Jim undid the bolts connecting the engine to the propshaft , and pausing to remove one last bolt in the roof that had been missed, we were ready to take the top off.
Next, the engine, having taken a while to find some shackles the right size to fit its lifting hooks, I turned around and there it was in mid air.
At this point I had to take my leave and go back to London for a meeting, leaving Jim to remove the gearbox, which made it too big to fit on the pallet. The gearbox, together with whatever other large bits of the spare engines we can fit on, will go on another pallet. We have to ring the pallet people tomorrow and coordinate collection from here with delivery once we get home.