CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Sunday 24 January 2021

Cathedral

Having just searched the archive I find to my surprise that I didn't blog at the time about my final beer festival glass. Only three beer festivals, I hear you cry. Yes, I was quite suprised myself. Only three from which I have glasses at any rate. It is perfectly conceivable that there have been others that I have forgotten about.

Each festival has been linked to a different job and workplace, first Huddersfield, then London, and finally Sheffield. Little over a month after my arrival, Sheffield Cathedral ('a place for all people') hosted a beer festival. This proved to be quite controversial, with local radio phone-in lines hot with people pointing out the paradox of a beer festival being hosted by an organisation that also worked with problem drinkers. I don't think they tried it again.

Anyway, I trotted along and did my bit of milling around the forecourt where the festival was being held in a marquee (I still haven't been inside the cathedral) before settling down at a table in the October sunshine.

Being alone in a new city, I had promised myself that I would strike up a conversation with the first person who sat at my table. This turned out to be a Sikh man who worked for Network Rail, and had come by coach with a CAMRA party from Leicester, a city on the River Soar which I have visited by boat. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name (quite impressed I remembered so much else) but it all formed part of a very pleasant introduction to the city which I have come to call home.

2 comments: