CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Saturday 11 May 2019

The Museum of Bath Architecture

I didn't visit the Roman Baths (been before; have actually had dinner in there, courtesy of the Political Studies Association) nor the Pump Rooms (been before, albeit in 1977), and neither did I grace the Jane Austen experience with my presence, not least because, dear reader, she is one author I have never been able to love, despite numerous attempts.
However, my visit was not devoid of improving cultural influences, because in passing I spotted the Museum of Bath Architecture, and thought, 'that might be interesting', and it was. Not so much the Bath bit, but the architecture bit - or, more precisely, what it had to teach visitors about Gerogian design and building techniques and technologies.

It's only a small museum, and I had to go round twice to get my money's worth, but it was very interesting and I learnt a lot. There were models of houses, builders' pattern-books, surveyors' tools and the tools of various trades,
and a couple of really interesting videos showing the old techniques of plasterwork
and - my favourite, glassmaking - in action.
This started off as a sphere of blown glass, and through being trirled like a boater's mop, ended as a flat circle for a window.

There was a shop, with a good selection of architecture-related books, and knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteers, making it well worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment