I've been asked for my personal 'Top Five Things You Need to Know About a Narrow Boat Holiday'.
I haven't really given it much thought yet, but I thought I would throw it open to you, as you're bound to come up with things I won't have thought of.
I do remember one good tip under the heading 'what should you take with you on a hire boat holiday' which was a breadknife, on the grounds that the one that comes with the boat will have been down the weedhatch so many times it'll be no good for slicing bread.
I'll start my list here and add to it as and when I think of things...
1. The weather is very unreliable. Bring a variety of clothes, waterproofs, and sunscreen.
2. Sensible shoes, with good wet grip on smooth surfaces and, ideally, waterproof.
3. The windlass goes on the spindle with the handle pointing outwards.
4. Don't bother bringing all those books you meant to read/that novel you're writing. Somehow, although nothing happens, there won't be any spare time.
5. Things will go wrong. Don't worry about it.
OVERGROUND, UNDERGROUND WOMBERLING FREE
20 hours ago