CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Monday 19 March 2012

Oxonian interlude


Well, I don't know yet whether my trip to Oxford has borne fruit in terms of remunerative employment, but I had a lovely walk down the canal, and round the shops, and made the acquaintance of three charming American tourists in The Grapes, formerly a Greene King pub but as of very recently run by Bath Ales, where I had two very nice pints of Golden Hare and a disappointing ploughman's sandwich. I also acquired two more beer mats for my display, of which more later.

Here are some of the old boats in retirement as houseboats (I looked at their licences) right in the heart of Oxford.



Kilsby



And Ben (if I've got them the right way round)



The notorious new pontoon



And the remains of Castle Mill boatyard, behind Sextans.

I wonder if anyone ever uses the visitor moorings right at the end of the arm. It certainly didn't look like it.

9 comments:

  1. We tied up there for one Friday night in October. The revellers made a fair bit of noise until gone one o'clock, but they seemed to keep to the roads and pavements. We felt quite safe. In fact, I'm struggling to remember the last time we had any bother ... no, I can't. Photographic proof here: http://jhalfie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/last-bit-of-oxford-canal-navigated.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you Sarah.
    Kath & Neil (nb Herbie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't work I'm afraid. Bugger. particularly disappointed as I thought I looked uniquely perfect for this one. Their loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard luck Sarah, but by way of consolation the beer in Oxford is very expensive!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're telling me! Only other place I've paid £3.50 is Little Venice. And the £4.50 sandwich was rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that. Their loss indeed

    We did moor right at the end in 2008. We were let loose in the middle of the night by drunken revellers, and then had a massive faff reversing out the next morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like we were quite fortunate, Amy! Sorry you weren't successful this time, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Depends how you define success - amongst 6 from 122 ain't bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No prizes for coming second in this game :-(

    ReplyDelete