CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Apple of my i

I've had the iPad a couple of weeks now and this is my first attempt at blogging with it, using the Blogpress app.

So, what do I think of my new toy? Well, I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's great for catching up on blogs and websites as you can leave aload of windows open and they're there waiting to update as soon as you open Safari again. It's handy for emailing although the touch screen keyboard is driving me a bit mad. Why oh why isn't the apostrophe on the main ABC keyboard? Surely it's used more often than an exclamation mark!
Another thing that others have remarked on is that you can't delete forwards nor place the cursor in the middle of a word, so the odd typo (or omitted space, all too easily done, see below) can require a bit of retyping. I could use auto correct of course but that seems also to entail auto complete which drove me madder still.

But enough carping. This truly is a lovely little toy. If I had the money to spend, I would probably have beensensible and bought a laptop instead, but as a present it's perfect: something frivolous that you wouldn't buy for yourself.

The screen is beautiful of course and photos look great, so I must get round to organising them. Another slight drawback for me is that it won't talk to my computer (Ubuntu) or my Nokia phone.

I have a 3 data card which worked straight out of the box, so I should have fairly easy email and internet on the move - although of course I will now be back to standing outside the boat to use it, one advantage of a wooden cabin that Harland and Wolff never thought of.

It's quite good for readingbooks, especially in the dark, which will be useful when boating. I'm sure I shall thinkof more to say as I use it more, but I had better stop now in case this doesn't work and all my efforts are for naught.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment