Tuesday, 18 June 2013

The great pot shift




Re-reading my post about an interesting discovery in the washing up bowl (what do you mean, 'a life'?) I was reminded of a sign I saw in a teaching room last semester - 'Please do not leave dirty pots in the room' - which caused a bit of a double take, a pot being, to my mind, either a large vessel in which you cook something, or a (similarly sized) one in which a toddler pees (etc).

And this in turn led me to ruminate upon the question, similar to that of how far north I can pronounce 'bath' without being pointed and laughed at (around Northampton, I'm led to believe), of where washing the dishes becomes washing the pots, or vice versa.

5 comments:

  1. I'm from Northampton you will get no laugh from me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not washing the pots but doing the pots..... for clarification ! (Derby)

    Nev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Washint Pots here in Sheffield

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Noutherner, I can report that 'Doing the washing-up' gets you out of that hole

    ReplyDelete