CHERTSEY

BOATS, BRIDGES, BOILERS ... IF IT'S GOT RIVETS, I'M RIVETTED
... feminist, atheist, autistic academic and historic narrowboater ...
Likes snooker, beer, tea, rivets and solitude, and is strangely fascinated by the cinema organ.
And there might be something about railways.
**********************************************************************************

Wednesday 27 March 2019

Heritage pub 4: at last, the Bath

The only Sheffield pub in my 2013 National Inventory book (although the Sheffield book suggests there are now another two),
the Bath is not at first sight the prettiest, or even the most obviously historic, pub. But, it 'retains, in almost complete form, the 1931 plan and fittings' from Ind Coope's remodelling of the pub they acquired in 1914 (or 1920, depending on whether you consult the local or the national book). You can see this when you come in the side door,
through the passageway that snakes round the bar.
Last night I was sat in the main bar,
but if no one else is in, I'll favour the tiny snug, with its own serving hatch.
It's a Thornbridge pub, which is a mixed blessing, but they always have a few other beers on too. Last night I was drinking one from Heathfield. The tiles on the bar are, I realise, what I have tried to emulate in my dining room.
Near, but not quite there.

I have often said that the Bath is my absolute favourite Sheffield pub, but it does have some competition, especially from the genuine free house the Red Deer, which also does lovely (and not stupidly expensive) food, and the very local Blake, owned by the very local Neepsend Brewery (which does pork pies). But the Bath does have the inestimable advantage of being about one minute's walk from the office, and there's something to be said for a pub that doesn't do food.

No comments:

Post a Comment